Tuesday, April 26, 2011
Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Lama sungguh kite tak update sini.. Dapoq tak berasap, kite yang berasap. Well, kite harap kite akan remain constant dalam ngapdet kat sini… kalau tak, bila tengok hak orang asik telioq ja..
Ok, balik ke tajuk entry. Sebenaqnya, dah lama kite saaangat tergoda and digoda oleh zarin dengan kek nih.. Tah.. tetiba rasa macam lazat gila.. sebab zarin dah buat dua kali.. tu yang dia publish la.. satu cake, and another is cupcake..
Tapi dia sifu.. saya ni pegang spatula pon kadang jatuh.. jadi hasil zarin adalah saaangat jelita berbanding dengan hak jari kemetot saya ni. Tak pe. Janji sedap.
Kite cilok zarin punya.. : TQ dear!
4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) (55 grams) unsalted butter
3/4 cup (160 grams) light brown sugar – i used 1/2 cup je
1 medium pineapple (peeled, quartered, cored, and sliced 1/4 inch thick)
Maraschino cherries or candied cherries (optional) – i tk taruk pun – me too
Method for topping
Place the butter and brown sugar in a small saucepan and stir over medium heat until the butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved.
Continue cooking for a few more minutes until the sugar starts to caramelize.
Then remove from heat, and pour into your prepared cake pan. Evenly arrange the fresh pineapple slices on the bottom of the pan. (Can also garnish with cherries.)
1 1/2 cups (195 grams) all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup (200 grams) granulated white sugar ( i used 3/4 cup)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 large eggs, separated
1/2 cup (120 ml) milk
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
In a large bowl, sift or whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
-Scrape down the sides of the bowl and then beat in the vanilla extract.
-Add the egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the flour mixture (in three additions), alternately with the milk (in two additions), ending with the dry ingredients.
- In a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites with the cream of tartar just until the whites hold a firm peak.
- With a large spatula gently fold the beaten egg whites into the cake batter in two additions.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan, smoothing the top.
- Bake in preheated oven 175 C for 45 - 55 minutes, or until the top of the cake has browned and starts to pull away from the sides of the pan (a toothpick inserted into the cake (not the pineapple) will come out clean).
- Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool for about 10 minutes. Run a sharp knife around the edge of the pan and then invert the cake onto your serving plate.
Serve with softly whipped cream.
Makes one - 9 inch (23 cm) cake. Serves 6 to 8. ( i used 6 inch pan) - i used 8.. so my hasil sikit nipis..
Note: Can substitute one - 20 ounce (567 gram) can of pineapple slices (drained). Once drained, pat the pineapple slices dry with paper towel and arrange on top of the sugar mixture. Place a maraschino cherry in the center of each pineapple slice.